Sunday, May 19, 2013

Journal 7: PLUR/Porter Robinson Interview

PLUR: PEACE LOVE UNITY RESPECT
                                       UNDERSTANDING RESPONSIBILITY



Definition:



Peace - To be in the same place as another, to exist similtaniously without conflict or adverse effects/reactions.

Love - To unconditionally feel great affection for a fellow being, and offer friendship regaurdless of race, sex, or creed.

Unity - To come together and defend common interests and give a sense of well being among those who feel unaccepted, to allow any and all to be a part of you and your friends.

Respect To allow yourself to be who you are without expectations, and allow others to do the same while helping each other, giving those around you the pride, courage, and honor you would yourself.


Before PLUR became the acronym to describe this culture LPE was used. LPE = LOVE PEACE ECSTASY which was then changed because of drug reference.

UPDATE: AFTER EDC

I experienced PLUR. I received Kandi from someone for the first time. This person was dressed like a bunny. She was wearing bunny ears, a white bra, white fuzzy boots, and had body paint all over her body. It was an amazing experience. I felt welcomed to the community. 



PORTER ROBINSON, INTERVIEW:



When my friend told me that I could interview Porter Robinson, I had no clue what I was going to ask him. I was super excited to be able to meet him and be able to ask him a couple of questions about the EDM culture. She told me I only had about 2/3 minutes to talk to him so I tried to get them most out of it.

What got you interested in Electronic Dance Music?

Video games got me into EDM. DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) to be specific. After playing DDR I went out and bought an album, and since then I tried making my own music similar to it, and now I'm here performing at SunGod.


What inspires you to write music and what program do you use to write it?

My fans inspire me to write music. I love being able to go out to a show and give my fans a new music and see their positive feedback. It motivates me to continue writing and as to the software I use, I use FL Studio.

What EDM artists inspire you the most?

Skrillex, Tiesto, DeadMau5. They are simply amazing. Everything they do, they do it to their best of their ability and it shows. They truly have amazing work.

How do you become an insider to the EDM culture?

Honestly just being around the music and the people that love it makes you an insider. You don't have to be a DJ or producer to be part of the culture. If you can appreciate what you hear and can really absorb it and enjoy it, you've become part of the EDM scene. We are all about loving each other and helping each other out.


I unfortunately ran out of time and wasn't able to ask him anymore questions. What are some questions that you guys think I should have asked him? I wanted to ask him more about the culture, but wanted to see how he became part of it.



1 comment:

  1. Where did you get to interview Porter Robinson? During this past Sun God Festival, I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours with him. He seemed like a really nice person who was truly interested in what his fans had to say. This was the same with Adrian Lux this year and both Paul Van Dyk and Tommy Trash last year. This is an interesting trend that I have seen with EDM artists. Working with A.S. Concerts & Events for the past 4 years, I have had the opportunity to meet and interact with several national/international artists. EDM artists seem to be particularly friendly and open to conversation. Rock musicians are hit or miss while most big-name hip-hop artists are divas to the fifth power. Do you think that there is something about the EDM culture that lends to its artists being so down to earth with their respective fans?

    ReplyDelete