Sunday, April 21, 2013

Journal Entry 3 : EDM and Drugs

     I interviewed my friend "Molly"on Friday of April 19 to ask him a bit about EDM. He told me that he started listening to EDM music about four years ago and has been going to raves since his Junior year of high school. (He is now a sophomore at UCSD)  He told me about his experiences with MDMA which is now by its street name ecstasy. He told me how MDMA enhanced his experiences with EDM and how it adds another dimension to the enjoyment of the music.
     He described how he felt while on ecstasy step by step but said it's something like no other. It is something that you have to experience yourself. He mentioned that when he took it for his first time he was in the car on the way to his first rave.  "Molly" mentioned that he felt this "tingling sensation that traveled from the bottom of his feet slowly up his body until it got to his head". He said that when he got to the rave he felt like he was friends with everybody. He said he could talk to everybody at the event and that everyone was his friend.
     After hearing that MDMA enhanced his experience listening to EDM I began to question if this was a big thing and if this drug actually made people feel "spiritually connected" to music like my friend Gabe mentioned. I went on google and started researching ecstasy and its effects with music. What I found was actually really interesting. It is scientifically proven that ecstasy effects are enhanced with music. "The drug produces feelings of euphoria and energy, and a desire to socialize". http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4716500.stm Maybe this is what my friend "Molly" was describing to me.

1 comment:

  1. Is Gabe your friend's real name? If so, I recommend you edit it to a pseudonym. If not, say so.

    ReplyDelete